The learning materials section allows you to access all self-study materials (paths, programs, courses, files, and tests) in one place. It makes finding materials that you are obligated to do and ones that you’re simply interested in quick and easy.
Please note that this section doesn’t include: trainings, tasks, surveys, pulse checks, knowledge base pages and attachments.
Browse “Learning materials” (for learners)
There are a few things that will help you navigate and quickly find the material(s) you’re looking for. Here are features that will help you.
There are two tabs in the learning materials sections:
- All—shows all materials assigned to you.
- Favorites—shows all materials that you added to favorites.
How to add a material to favorites:
- Hover over a material’s tile.
- A heart symbol will appear, click it.
- That’s it! You should see a small green message at the bottom of the screen confirming that you’ve added a material to favorites.
How to remove a material from favorites:
- Hover over a material’s tile.
- A heart symbol will appear, click it.
- That’s it! You should see a small green message at the bottom of the screen confirming that you’ve removed a material from favorites.
Badges are small tags displayed at the bottom of a material’s til. They indicate material’s status or availability. Below you’ll find all badges and their descriptions.
New & mandatory badges
- New—materials assigned to you in the last 7 days.
- Mandatory—materials set as mandatory for you by the administrator.
- Completed—green tag with a check symbol that marks materials that are finished.
- Passed—green tag with a check symbol that marks tests that you passed.
- Failed—red tag with a no-entry symbol that marks tests that you failed.
- Locked—red tag with a no-entry symbol that marks a material you no longer have access to because its deadline already passed.
- [Clock symbol] Time left: X days—yellow tag with a clock symbol that indicates an upcoming completion deadline. You can still complete materials with this badge after the deadline. If the tag is in plain text, it means that you have more than 7 days before deadline.
- [Lock symbol] Time left: X days—yellow tag with a lock symbol that indicates an upcoming completion deadline. You will lose access to materials with this badge when the deadline passes. If the tag is in plain text, it means that you have more than 7 days before deadline.
- Available in: X days—badge shown as plain text that tells you when you will get access to a material.
A progress bar is displayed if a material is a path, program, course, and test, and shows how much you have left to do.
Search lets you easily find the content you’re looking for by typing in the name of the material, description, or category/subcategory.
There are 3 types of filters you can use to narrow down the displayed materials:
Categories indicate the overarching theme of a material. Use them to narrow down the results to the topic you’re interested in. The categories are created and assigned to materials by administrators. You only see the categories where you have a material assigned, so it’s okay if your teammates have different categories displayed.
There are 6 types of materials displayed. Based on the type, you can gauge how long it will take you to complete a material.
- Program—is a multistep learning plan that typically includes multiple paths.
- Path—is a multistep learning plan that typically includes multiple materials.
- Course—refers to online courses; self-paced materials that can consist of multiple lessons. They use video, images, text, interactive exercises to help you learn.
- File—a document like PDF or XLSX that you can download.
- Video—a video you can watch directly on the platform.
- Link—a link to an external material that you can access outside the platform.
There are 9 statuses, they are helpful to quickly view only the overdue or mandatory materials, so you know what you need to do before you start exploring any additional materials that interest you.
- New—materials assigned to you in the last 7 days. All materials with this status have also a badge “New” displayed on their tile.
- Mandatory—materials assigned to you and set as mandatory by the administrator.
- Uncompleted—materials that are in progress.
- Not started—materials you haven’t started working on yet.
- Overdue—materials that had a deadline that already passed. These should be done as soon as possible.
- Completed—materials that you finished.
- Locked—materials that you can’t work on anymore because your access was revoked when the deadline passed. If you want to or need to complete a material with this status, you need to contact the platform administrator.
- Passed—tests that you passed.
- Failed—tests that you failed.
Use sorting to change the order of the displayed elements:
- Default—materials are displayed in the following order
- 1st—Overdue and deadline in less than 7 days
- 2nd—In progress (status “Uncomplted”)
- 3rd—New (from newest to oldest assignment date)
- 4th—Completed (from newest to oldest completion date)
- Newest—from most recently added
- Oldest—from latest added materials
- Deadline—from the earliest deadline to the latest deadline
- Progress—from the most progress to the least progress. If progress is at the same level, materials with the newest assignment date come first.
Manage materials displayed in “Learning materials” (for administrators)
Here’s how to manage objects, so they are displayed and categorized correctly in the learning materials tab.
How to make the "Learning materials" section available to users?
Create a home page tile and use this link: https://platformname.com/protected/home#/content-library. Remember to change “platformname.com” to your platform’s URL. For example, the final link can look like this https://education.company.com/protected/home#/content-library or this https://education.hcmdeck.com/protected/home#/content-library depending on your platform's URL.
The categories that learners can use to filter objects are “Learning categories” you can set up in the platform configurations. Here’s a detailed instruction how to do it.
For an object to be displayed with a mandatory badge, you need to set the object as mandatory when assigning it to a group. Here’s how to do it.
If you want an image to be displayed on a tile, you need to add it in the object configuration. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to an object you want to edit, if it’s published you need to unpublish it first.
- In the “Properties” tab, “General” section, find the “Image” setting.
- Click “Add”, upload image from your computer and click “Save” file to confirm.
- Remember to save changes and publish the object.
Please note that images are not mandatory, but will definitely improve learners engagement.. If you don’t add an image, the platform will display a placeholder. Recommended size of the image is 990x420px. Images cannot be larger than 5MB.
If you set a time restriction on access to an object, it will be displayed at the bottom of the tile as a badge:
- [Lock symbol] Available in X days—when the start date is set in the future.
- [Lock symbol] Time left: X days—after the start date and before the end date.
- [No-entry symbol] Locked—when the end date has passed.
If you set a soft deadline for a path or program, it will be displayed on the tile next to a clock icon:
- [Clock symbol] Time left: X days—before the soft deadline passes.
- [Clock symbol] Overdue—when the soft deadline has passed.
Please sign in to leave a comment.